This Mathematics unit addresses a range of place value concepts involving 5-digit numbers.
It consists of 7 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Wendy’s Place Value Wall Worksheet
- Exploring 5-Digit Place Value PowerPoint
- Goals – Numeracy (Middle Elementary)
- Place Value Chart – Ten Thousands Place
- 0-9 Digit Cards
- 5-Digit Place Value Card Game – Flip It!
- Place Value Bingo Game – Numbers 0-999,999
- Numeral Expander – Tens of Thousands
- Place Value Cards – 10,000; 1,000; 100; 10; 1
- Expanded Form Dominoes (5-Digit Numbers)
- 5-Digit Place Value Warm Up – Interactive PowerPoint
- 4-Digit Place Value Game – Race Up the Rounding Ladder
- Multiply It or Divide It! Board Game
- I Have, Who Has? Game – Place Value (5-Digit Numbers)
- 5-Digit Place Value – Assessment
- To introduce place value in the tens of thousands.
- To further explore place value in the ten thousands place.
- To investigate how place value can be used to decompose numbers into smaller parts.
- To investigate how place value can be used to expand numbers.
- To round 5-digit numbers to the nearest 10; 100; and 1,000.
- To multiply and divide larger numbers by 10 and 100.
- To compare and order 5-digit numbers.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a place value display in the classroom. Display posters, word wall vocabulary and learning goals that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Place Value category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address within the topic of 5-digit place value. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
Additional note: Some of the topics included in this unit of work are also addressed in the Exploring 4-Digit Place Value Unit Plan. If you are teaching a cohort of students who have already completed the 4-digit unit, they may already be familiar with some of the activities and teaching resources used within the 5-digit unit.
NSW Curriculum alignment
WholeNumbers - applies place value to order, read and represent numbers of up to five digits