Practice dictionary skills with this set of task cards.
Dictionary Skills Task Cards
Use these task cards to reinforce your students’ dictionary skills. Students will complete a multitude of tasks using a dictionary and writing their answers on their recording sheets.
- using guide words
- finding definitions
- identifying parts of speech
- determining the syllabication.
These task cards make a great reading center activity for your students.
Ways to Extend This Activity
Looking to extend this activity for your students? Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
- Have your students choose 5 unknown words from the task cards and look them up in the dictionary. Then, have them use all 5 words correctly in a silly story.
- Why not have your students create their own set of dictionary skill task cards and recording sheets? Then, trade with a partner and answer each other’s questions.
- Have your students choose one of the unknown words from the task cards and complete our vocabulary graphic organizer using the word!
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Use the dropdown icon on the Download button to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version of this resource. A recording sheet and answer key are also included with this download.
Print on cardboard for added durability and longevity. Place all pieces in a folder or large envelope for easy access.
To keep the task cards out of pockets or under desks, punch a hole in the corner of each to place them on a binder ring.
Sustainability Tip: Print a few recording sheets on cardboard and slip them into write-and-wipe sleeves. Students can record their answers with a whiteboard marker, then erase and reuse them.
This resource has been created by Lindsey Phillips, a teacher in Michigan and a Teach Starter collaborators.
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.