A set of 24 prefix and suffix cards to use as a gallery walk activity.
Use this activity when teaching your students about prefixes and suffixes.
How to play this gallery walk activity:
- Put your students in groups of 2–3.
- Hang each sheet an equal distance apart on the walls in your room.
- Assign each pair a starting card.
- Provide an allotted amount of time for the pairs to add as many words as they know (and have not already been added to the poster) that have that prefix or suffix. When time is up, use a signal (e.g. blow a whistle, ring a bell, clap your hands, flick the lights on and off) to tell the students to move to the next card.
- Students will move in the same direction. Play continues until the students return back to the card they started at.
Prefixes include: de, dis, ex, il, im, in, mis, non, pre, re, and un.
Suffixes include: able, al, er, est, ful, ible, ly, ing, less, ly, ness, and y.
You may also like these teaching resources: