This Mathematics unit addresses the concepts of understanding, identifying and creating fractions.
It consists of 6 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Introduction to Fractions PowerPoint
- Fraction Wheels and Suggested Activities Sheet
- Fractions Flip Book
- Unit Fraction Posters
- Fractions Worksheet Pack – Lower Elementary
- Goal Labels – Fractions (Lower Elementary)
- Fractions Pizza Game – Lower Grades
- Pizza Fraction Bingo – 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5
- Problem Solving Mat
- Fractions Assessment – Lower Elementary
- To introduce the concept of fractions in real-world situations.
- To identify and create halves and quarters.
- To identify and create thirds and fifths.
- To identify and create eighths.
- To recognize and create halves, quarters, thirds, fifths and eighths.
- To solve simple word problems involving fractions.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a fractions display in the classroom. Display posters and word wall vocabulary that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Fractions, Decimals and Percentages category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address within the topic of fractions. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halves, fourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half of, fourth of, and quarter of. Describe the whole as two of, or four of the shares. Understan...
Partition circles and rectangles into two, three, or four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc., and describe the whole as two halves, three thirds, four fourths. Recognize that equal shares of id...