This science unit addresses concepts surrounding the sustainable use and management of natural resources.
It consists of 8 lessons of approximately 60 minutes each.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Introduction to Natural Resources PowerPoint
- Where Do Natural Resources Come From? Worksheet
- Learning Goal Poster
- Natural Resource Use in the 21st Century PowerPoint
- PMI Chart Graphic Organiser
- Water Overuse Infographic Poster
- Consequence Chart Graphic Organiser
- Persuasive Texts Writing Scaffold
- Persuasive Text Planning Template (Using OREO)
- Overfishing Infographic Poster
- Deforestation Infographic Poster
- Five Senses Graphic Organiser
- Water Wastage Investigation – How Much Water is Lost to Leaks?
- Action Plan Graphic Organiser
- Waste Management Investigation – How Much Waste Do We Throw Away?
- To identify some natural resources and where they come from.
- To explore how humans use natural resources and raw materials in the present day.
- To explore the effects and potential consequences of water overuse.
- To explore the effects and potential consequences of overfishing.
- To explore the effects and potential consequences of deforestation.
- To investigate how water may be used in a more sustainable manner.
- To investigate sustainable fishing practices.
- To investigate sustainable forestry practices.
Preparing for Learning
This Science unit provides excellent opportunities for cross-curricular integration. Look for ways to meaningfully integrate the content of the unit with other learning areas e.g. Literacy, Math, and History.
Prior to beginning the unit, develop a Sustainability display in the classroom. Display posters, word wall vocabulary, and learning goals that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of additional teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Sustainability topic on the Teach Starter website.
Some of the resources that accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before starting the unit.