A workbook to help students become more familiar with the genre of poetry.
Poetry Analysis Made Easy!
Teaching poetry in high school is tough enough – and it’s ten times harder in primary school! The texts are too hard, the poems are too boring, or the students don’t have the background knowledge to relate to the content. Then, toss in figurative language, and you’ve got yourself an even bigger mess!
That’s where Teach Starter comes in! We’ve taken the stress out of teaching poetry with our Exploring Poetry Workbook, featuring a huge range of original poems by our resident poet, Stephanie Mulrooney.
Child-Friendly Poems with Figurative Language
This workbook is essentially an entire poetry unit packaged in an easy-to-use booklet format. It enables you to explore nine different poems with child-friendly vocabulary and topics, all with figurative language worksheets and poetry analysis activities included for each poem.
Poems and figurative language worksheets included in this download are titled:
- Daycare Disasters – (worksheet explores context, purpose and audience)
- Night – (worksheet explores context, purpose and audience)
- My House – (worksheet explores context, purpose and audience)
- The Falling Leaves – (worksheet explores alliteration)
- Onomatopoeia Poems – (worksheet explores onomatopoeia)
- A Family of Dinosaurs – (worksheet explores wordplay)
- Tiger – (worksheet explores imagery))
- Tilly the Tiger – (worksheet explores storytelling)
Answers are also provided in the download.
Download, Print and Go!
Use the dropdown arrow on the Download button to select between the full-colour or black-and-white PDF.
As this download includes answers, we recommend you print one copy of the entire file, then make copies of the poem and worksheet pages to secure into a booklet for your students.