This Earth and Space Sciences unit explores the concept that Earth is part of a system of planets orbiting around a star (the sun).
It consists of 8 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
Teachers are encouraged to collect samples of students’ work throughout the unit to add to a learning portfolio. These can also be used to assess students’ understanding of the unit objectives.
Australian Curriculum alignment
- Science > Year 5 > Science Understanding > Earth and space sciences > ACSSU078
The Earth is part of a system of planets orbiting around a star (the sun)Elaborationsidentifying the planets of the solar system and comparing how long they take to orbit the sun (Skills: Literacy, Cr...
- Science > Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > ACSHE081
Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena and reflects historical and cultural contributionsElaborationsdeveloping an un...
- Science > Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > ACSHE083
Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and community decisionsElaborationsconsidering how best to ensure growth of plants (Skills: Critical and Creative Thinking)considerin...
- Science > Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > ACSIS093
Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations in a variety of ways, including multi-modal textsElaborationsdiscussing how models represent scientific ideas and constru...
- Science > Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > ACSIS091
Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigationsElaborationsworking collaboratively to identify where methods could be improved, including where testing was not fair and practices coul...
- Science > Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > ACSIS090
Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to represent and describe observations, patterns or relationships in data using digital technologies as appropriateElaboratio...
Find more resources for these topics