A set of 12 task cards to practice various dictionary skills.
Practice Dictionary Skills
Use these task cards to reinforce your students’ dictionary skills. Students will complete a multitude of tasks using a dictionary and writing their answers on their recording sheets.
- using guide words
- finding definitions
- identifying parts of speech
- determining the syllabication.
These task cards make a great reading center activity for your students.
Ways to Extend This Activity
Looking to extend this activity for your students? Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
- Have your students choose 5 unknown words from the task cards and look them up in the dictionary. Then, have them use all 5 words correctly in a silly story.
- Why not have your students create their own set of dictionary skill task cards and recording sheets? Then, trade with a partner and answer each other’s questions.
- Have your students choose one of the unknown words from the task cards and complete our vocabulary graphic organizer using the word!
A recording sheet is included in the download. Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version.
This resource has been created by Kelli Goffredi, a teacher in Texas, and Lindsey Phillips, a teacher in Michigan, both Teach Starter collaborators.