Mathematical process standards. The student uses mathematical processes to acquire and demonstrate mathematical understanding. The student is expected to:
- (1) Data analysis. The student applies mathematical process standards to organize data to make it useful for interpreting information and solving problems. The student is expected to:
- (2) explain that the length of a bar in a bar
graph or the number of pictures in a pictograph represents the number of data points for a given
- (A) organize a collection of data with up to four categories using pictographs and bar graphs with intervals of one or more;
- (B) write and solve one-step word problems involving addition or subtraction using data represented within pictographs and bar graphs with intervals of one; and
- (C) draw conclusions and make predictions from information in a graph.
- (D) Personal financial literacy. The student applies mathematical process standards to manage one's financial resources effectively for lifetime financial security. The student is expected to:
- (3) calculate how money saved can accumulate
into a larger amount over time;
- (A) explain that saving is an alternative to spending;
- (B) distinguish between a deposit and a withdrawal;
- (C) identify examples of borrowing and distinguish between responsible and irresponsible borrowing;
- (D) identify examples of lending and use concepts of benefits and costs to evaluate lending decisions; and
- (E) differentiate between producers and consumers and calculate the cost to produce a simple item.
- (F) apply mathematics to problems arising in everyday life, society, and the workplace;
- (G) use a problem-solving model that incorporates analyzing given information, formulating a plan or strategy, determining a solution, justifying the solution, and evaluating the problem-solving process and the reasonableness of the solution;
- (H) select tools, including real objects, manipulatives, paper and pencil, and technology as appropriate, and techniques, including mental math, estimation, and number sense as appropriate, to solve problems;
- (I) communicate mathematical ideas, reasoning, and their implications using multiple representations, including symbols, diagrams, graphs, and language as appropriate;
- (J) create and use representations to organize, record, and communicate mathematical ideas;
- (K) analyze mathematical relationships to connect and communicate mathematical ideas; and
- (L) display, explain, and justify mathematical ideas and arguments using precise mathematical language in written or oral communication.
CUBES - Problem Solving Strategy Poster
A poster showing the CUBES problem solving strategy.
Math Word Problem Task Cards – Addition and Subtraction
20 one and two-step word problem task cards that focus on addition and subtraction.
Subtraction with Regrouping - Printable Math Mat
Explore subtraction with regrouping using a printable subtraction math mat.
Pandora's Party Palace Math Activity - Lower Level Version
16 mathematics problem solving task cards involving money in a real-world context.
10 Problem Solving Strategies Posters
Posters highlighting 10 problem solving strategies.
Length Math Investigation - Which Airplane Flies Best?
A mathematics investigation about measuring distance, embedded in a real-world context.
Linking Addition and Subtraction Worksheet
A worksheet designed to explore the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Adding 2-Digit Numbers - Fall Math Task Cards
Celebrate the coming of Autumn and practice adding 2-digit numbers with this set of 18 task cards.
Mental Math – Subtraction Flashcards
Build up your students' mental math skills with a set of 36 subtraction flashcards using one- and two-digit numbers.
Math Homework Cards with Worksheets
9 Math task cards to assign as homework.
Open-Ended Math Problem Solving - Grades 1, 2, and 3 (PowerPoint Version)
A PowerPoint with 20 open-ended problem solving questions covering a range of mathematical concepts.
Open-ended Math Problem Solving - Grades 1, 2, and 3 (Task Card Version)
A set of 20 open-ended problem solving task cards covering a range of mathematical concepts.
2-D Shape Math Investigation - My Crazy Playhouse!
A mathematics investigation involving 2-D shape, embedded in a real-world context.
Math Thinking Sentence Starter Cards
Forty-two cards with math reflective sentence starters.
MLK Day Hidden Message - Lower Grades
Practice addition and subtraction facts within 20 to uncover a meaningful quote.
2-Digit Addition Color by Number- Halloween Mystery Picture
Celebrate the coming of Halloween and practice adding 2-digit numbers up to 99 with a set of addition color by number worksheets.
Fall Math Worksheets - Addition to 99
Celebrate the coming of Fall and practice adding 2-digit numbers up to 99 with a set of four Fall color-by-number worksheets.
Thanksgiving Mystery Pictures - Addition to 99
Celebrate Thanksgiving and practice adding 2-digit numbers up to 99 with a set of four Thanksgiving-themed color-by-number worksheets.
Color-by-Number Valentine's Day Addition Worksheet
Have fun with your Valentine’s Day Math practice with an addition color by number worksheet.
Math Brain Teasers – Primary Grades
Challenge your first and second-grade students to solve these brain teasers with a set of 10 math word problems.
Valentine Bingo - 2-Digit Addition and Subtraction Game
Add and subtract two-digit numbers to win this fun Valentine’s Bingo Game!
Football Tarsia Puzzle - 2 Digit Addition
Print and assemble a football-themed tarsia puzzle to use when practicing two-digit addition skills.