Celebrate National Poetry Month in the primary classroom with this planning guide and set of resources.
Use the weekly planning guide to lead your students through short mini-lessons; each day focusing on a different literary device or poetic form. Everything you will need to celebrate weeks 4 and 5 are included in this resource pack!
This teaching resource pack includes:
- Acrostic Poems Poster
- Earth Day Acrostic Poem – Template
- Rhyming Word Cards
- Rhyming Poems Poster
- Writing Template – Primary Grades
- Color Rhyming and Poetry Worksheet
- Simile Poster for Young Students
- Simile Poems Poster
- All About Me! – Simile Poem Template
- Primary Weekly Poetry Guide – Weeks 4 and 5
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
- Kindergarten > English Language Arts Standards > Reading: Literature > Craft and Structure > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.K.5
Recognize common types of texts (e.g., storybooks, poems)....
- Grade 1 > English Language Arts Standards > Reading: Literature > Craft and Structure > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.1.4
Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses....
- Grade 2 > English Language Arts Standards > Reading: Literature > Craft and Structure > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.4
Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song....
- Grade 3 > English Language Arts Standards > Reading: Literature > Craft and Structure > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.4
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language....
- Kindergarten > English Language Arts Standards > Reading: Foundational Skills > Phonological Awareness > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2 > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A
Recognize and produce rhyming words....
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!