A collection of age-appropriate, Grade 2 teaching resources and activities for homeschool parents to use with their children during the month of September.
This teaching resource pack has been handpicked by a team of educators to include a range of resources that cover the curriculum taught in 2nd grade in September. It contains resources covering the key learning areas of Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
Whether you are looking for engaging, hands-on resources to supplement your homeschool curriculum or resources to assist with the teaching of skills, this resource pack has you covered! Each resource in this pack is curriculum-aligned and age-appropriate, and many can be used repeatedly to reinforce the skill throughout the school year. No more having to hunt to find extra practice for your homeschool student!
Topics covered in the pack include:
- place value skills
- comparing and ordering whole numbers
- fact strategies for addition and subtraction to 20
- rhyming words
- long and short vowel sounds
- word building skills
- decoding skills
- reading high-frequency words
- spelling skills
- using context clues
- subject-verb agreement
- sentence structure.
Find homeschool teaching resource packs for more grade levels in the Parent and Homeschool Teaching Resource Collection.
This teaching resource pack includes:
- Exploring 4-Digit Place Value PowerPoint
- Percy’s Place Value Puzzle
- Numeral Expander for 4-Digit Numbers
- Place Value Cards – 10,000; 1,000; 100; 10; 1
- Expanded Form Dominoes (4-Digit Numbers)
- 4-Digit Place Value Game – Race Up the Rounding Ladder
- Flip, Draw, Expand! – Place Value Worksheet (4-Digit Numbers)
- Number Talks – Place Value Task Cards
- Base-10 Flashcards – Random Numbers (100–10,000)
- 0-9 Digit Cards
- Place Value Chart – Thousands
- Doubles Addition Dominoes
- Making Ten – Dominoes
- Doubles Subtraction – Number Facts Board Game
- Taking From 10 – Number Facts Board Game
- Rhyming Word Cards
- Nutty Nursery Rhymes – Rhyming Activity
- Word Building Cards
- Word Building Mat – Skateboard Theme
- Phonics Vocabulary Poster Pack
- Word of the Week PowerPoint – Grade 2
- Spelling Task Cards
- Spelling Strategies – Posters
- Prefixes Puzzles Matchup Cards
- Suffixes Puzzles Matchup Cards
- Vocabulary Dice Roll Activity
- Dolch Sight Words Mat – Grade 2
- Dolch Sight Word Bingo – Grade 2
- Everyday Grammar Sentence Structure Warm-Ups – Grades 1 and 2 Interactive PowerPoint
- Dressing Up A Sentence Activity
- Context Detectives Worksheet
- Decoding Strategy Posters – Lower Years
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy).
Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words (e.g., cage → badge; boy → boil).
Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject area.
Understand that the three digits of a three-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones; e.g., 706 equals 7 hundreds, 0 tens, and 6 ones. Understand the following as special cases:
100 can be thought of as a bundle of ten tens — called a "hundred."
The numbers 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 refer to one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine hundreds (and 0 tens and 0 ones).
Read and write numbers to 1000 using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.
Compare two three-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons.
Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies. By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!