Form words by blending onsets and rimes using these hands-on peg cards.
Onset + Rime = Word Building!
The ability to segment words into their onset (the beginning consonant sound) and rime (the vowels and consonants after the onset) is an important aspect of phonological awareness.
Developing an understanding of onset and rime in words can help students to notice words that share the same phonological pattern. This, in turn, can assist when spelling words that belong to the same word family. For example, students who have learnt the word ‘shop’ can apply this same spelling pattern to words that share the same rime, such as ‘stop’, ‘top’ and ‘hop’.
How to Use These Onset and Rime Peg Cards
- Print the resource on thick card to ensure durability.
- Cut along the dotted lines to create small activity cards.
- To make the activity self-marking, mark the correct answer on the back of the card with a small sticker.
- Provide students with the cards and a bucket of clothes pegs.
- Students look at the picture to identify the word that needs to be formed.
- Students look at the onset sound, then place a peg on the correct rime to complete the word.
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
A team of dedicated, experienced educators created this resource to support your literacy program. It can be used in whole-class or small-group setting, or as an individual activity for more-capable, independent learners.
We suggest the following differentiation strategies to support the diverse needs of your learners:
🆘 Support Struggling Students
- Provide an alphabet poster to remind students of letter-sound correspondences for the 26 letters of the alphabet.
➕ Challenge Fast Finishers
- Encourage fast finishers to create a list of word families using the CVC words included in the resource.
🧑 Group Learning
- Project the slides onto a screen and work through them as a class by having students record their answers in their notebooks or on mini whiteboards.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Click the Download button to access the PDF or Google Slides version of this resource. Colour and black and white versions are available.
Looking for an interactive version of this resource? Download our Onset and Rime – Interactive Peg Cards!
This resource was created by Lindsey Phillips, a Teach Starter Collaborator.